Sunday, November 06, 2005

Week 4 - Lecture Half Way Mark

It is hard to believe that I have completed four weeks of lectures, half this term's lectures and exactly 1/6 of my total lecture weeks at Oxford. This past week has been a complete blur as the days and nights blend into one. We lost daylight savings on Sunday morning which means that it is now getting dark at 5.00pm. Although the temperature should not be influenced by daylight savings almost simultaneously the air has turned much colder and it feels as though winter has arrived.

Highlights for week 4 include watching the Blues play NEC Harlequins on Monday night at Iffley Road. Harlequins fielded three England capped players in Will Greenwood, Tony Diprose and Mike Worsley. They defeated the Blues with complete ease, Greenwood in particular turned on an outstanding game. Who said tall skinny centres belong in the second row?

I played in the second half of the Greyhounds away game against Gloucester University on Wednesday afternoon. I came on at blindside breakaway and managed to attract enemies from the first ruck including a hot headed centre who kept offering me a free swing at him. I said I would be willing to oblige his request but only when the ref was not looking. I also put on a dubiously late tackle on their 5/8 to advise him of my general presence (technically it was a shoulder charge) but it was not spotted but this did not further endear me to the opposition. We ended up winning a pretty scrappy game but it consumed my entire Wednesday for a net game time of about 30 minutes. Given my shoulder injury it was also the first time I have ever played rugby in shoulder pads. Because the bloke who lent them to me is only a short slightly built hooker they sit very much like a girl's midrift top. For your viewing pleasure I have even included a photo. With my current red beard I feel very much like Ray Price circa 1985 Parramatta v Cantabury GF.

Tonight is the 400th anniversary of Guy Fawkes night and there are explosions going off left right and centre. Not a good night for study so I after working this morning on an essay I have decided to watch Australia v France in a bar tonight over a couple of quiet beers. I will be up early and at my desk again tomorrow because in the afternoon I plan to watch the Blues play Tonga at Iffley Road. I will take a few pictures, given that Dad played rugby at Oxford and worked in Tonga for two years I am sure it is a game he would be interested in watching.

Cheers,
Doug.