Monday, February 06, 2006

Announcements.....

It is Monday of 4th week and I am amazed how quickly this term is passing. The end of this week will mark the half way point in my lecture load for the MBA course, having completed 12 of the 24 weeks. It is a milestone worth celebrating.

Indeed, on the whole I have made a conscientious effort to be more sociable this term, recognising that the contacts I make through studying at Oxford may prove more valuable in the future than any lecture content I receive. This view has been formed by an increased focus on post MBA employment options, time spent refining my CV and some approaches to companies in respect of the summer Strategic Consulting Project.

Last Wednesday I played the second half against Gloucester University and then made an effort to go to the Vincents Club that evening to meet with the team. Sadly, only 5 showed up but it is the thought that counts. I also arranged on Thursday evening to attend formal hall at St Peter's with the other two MBA students in my college, Ryo and Anshu. On Saturday night 6 of the MBA cohort shared a birthday celebration at a nearby pub and so I went along and had a few pints.

Last Monday I and some classmates delivered a presentation concerning the merger of BP and Amoco and knowing that only the written submission was assessible we decided to have some fun by commencing the presentation with a theatrical dance piece. It was very well received and if I can somehow link the footage to this webpage I will. For now I have attached a photo below.

This week I am making my debut for the St Peter's College rugby team. They are reigning first division champions and have been on my case for months to play for them. Up until now I have had lecture conflicts and other rugby commitments. Hopefully, I will be able to make an impact on Thursday so that their faith in me has been well placed.

Lastly, the two big ticket items of news are the announcements alluded to in the heading: (1) I am returning to Oz for two weeks the first two weeks in April and (2) I got my first term results today and after a nerve wracking wait, I was very pleased to discover that I will only have to resit one exam. This is a genuine relief given how difficult I found many of the subjects last term.

I now feel really energised to tackle the rest of this term, before seeing as many of you as possible (and hopefully some sunshine) in April.

Cheers,
Doug.